Tuesday, 25 August 2015

Time to get Scriptin

Jumping into week five action script already seems like it is going to be fun. The syntax is seems very similar to JavaScript with a few extra quirks. I am feeling confident that I will be able to implement a prototype.

What is the Key function or Interaction for your Concept


The key function and interaction that I am looking to prototype, is the safe cracking mechanics. How users will control and manipulate the lock on screen. Users will eventually need to be able to navigate through the level moving left and right, however I feel that the lock interaction is clearly the most important to prototype at this stage.

How Does it Work?


I am currently tossing up between two control systems that I am looking to get feedback on. One would represent a free spinning combination lock where the movement are fluid. So a user would hold a button to spin the lock dial to the left or right. The other system would be where the lock moves in distinct clicks. So users would have to press the button each time they wanted to move the lock dial one number (point) to the left or right. A click sound will play when the users hits onto one of the correct numbers in the sequence to unlock the lock.

What do you want to know about your prototype?


With this prototype I want to know which control method users would prefer and which produces a more fluid and enjoyable gameplay experience. I also want to find out how many different numbers should be on the lock dial (how many is too many? does more increase difficulty?). Essentially it will test which control system should be used for the final game. Additionally it will be a good way to test how much extra information is needed to prompt the user to successfully open the lock, will the sound playing be enough? Will they need some sort of notepad system? Should their be arrows identifying which way they need to spin the lock?

How do you want IP1 to work?


I want to have some visual representation of the lock on the stage that users can see. The dial also needs to move and spin on the lock so that users can get feedback on their inputs and decipher the code to crack the lock. When they hit one of the correct numbers for the lock sequence I am still unsure if there needs to be visual feedback or if the audio feedback will be enough. Ideally I want to test the prototype with just the simple lock interface, however I feel that indicator arrows (which way to turn the lock) will need to be added to help users complete the challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment