Friday, 9 October 2015

Time for HardHats

After my initials constructions I was sufficiently satisfied that my current design and set up would work at full scale. So it was time to get out the saw, and cut some MDF.

Thanks Saw Horses

Having some Density issues, with the large nails

Cant go back now.

Good Thing it fits

The base to mount the wheel onto

After spending the best part of the morning with a saw in one hand and a hammer in the other it was time for the moment of truth. Fastening the lazy Susan hardware, I only bought one of these so it was the point of no return from here on.



We have life!

IT FITS!

Time to test

With the wheel on and correctly rotating, I thought the hard part was behind me. Little did I realize that I needed a way to fix the pointer to the base, which would still allow it to rotate so it would pass through each point. BUT, not have it rotate too far that it might miss some of the points or fail changing direction.


The Twin Foam Duct-tape house

Nails with foam reinforcement

The initial set up with foam would work for a small period of time, providing enough force to keep the pointer hard up against the wheel to make sure it would contact all the points. This problem was exemplified by the fact some points were alot further in due to nails on all sorts of angles. The final solution was to have two nails either side of the pointer (As they were stronger and would hold it in place longer) to ensure contact with every point.

Finally it was time to box it up and make it look pretty (thorough testing would have to wait. Many fingers were crossed)

Cozy Foam Home

Always good to have a spare Beer Carton

Before the Facelift

Paint Shed

Final Test

So there it is, a little black box of hopes and dreams. Ready for its time to shine at the testing session.

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of work there! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And also creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ^.^ Sad I did not get to play yours, the video looked good.

    ReplyDelete